Monthly Archives: July 2013
Today my avatar sports a hoody for Trayvon and is colored orange for women. These two issues are VERY related.
As a woman I know that if a stranger stalked me in his SUV, got out and approached me (with or without a gun) I would run. If he caught me I would fight with everything I had. And, if he shot and killed me he would be innocent in Florida. Yet not so long ago a Florida woman fired a warning shot at her abusive husband and got 20 years. This is not a good example of justice but it is the law.
The law is just whatever the lawmakers make it.
As citizens we need to make the connection between things like gerrymandering, big campaign funders, and the fact that the monied elite draft, distribute, and lobby for law that supports their business strategies.
“Shoot first ask questions later” laws were brought to state legislatures in 2005 by ALEC and its benefactors. In this case, the NRA and its benefactors.
Manipulating the law to sell weapons and ammo is no different than manipulating the law to sell ambulatory surgical center services. Both came from the same place, as did voter suppression strategies. It may not make sense on the surface, it may not even be ethical or moral, but it is legal and it is profitable.
One giant leap for plutocracy… for now. We will #FreeTheElected from the control of big business campaign funders and stop this fashionable trend of law for profit.
The march to end a woman’s right to decide when and if she will give birth is just the tip of the iceberg. It is just one more example of the divide and conquer strategy in the march to total plutocracy (the new fascism). Ironically, some seem willing to tolerate this trend to get what they want, not admitting that in so doing they are signing on for “the full meal deal”.
Current events are dominated by smarty pants political gamers that seem to find every backhanded way to obtain their objectives. They are despicable but predictable. Money-in-Politics is winning the day, and both major parties play the game.
Just so you have some idea of what the “full meal deal looks like, here is a Cliff Notes-esq version of what is in store for us if we do not put a stick in the spokes of campaign finance system that is inherently corrupt.
- No abortion. No birth control. No sex education. No women’s rights from the moment of conception until birth (assuming she does not die). After that everyone is on their own.
- Only the economically deserving will vote. Voting won’t matter much because gerrymandering will have rendered the chosen politicians invincible.
- Our air, water, energy sources, and food supply will become nothing more than vectors for cash. Everything will be industrialized until it collapses.
- No public school. No public prisons. No public anything, especially no public employees. (I am really not looking forward to privatized police departments.)
- No unions. No collective bargaining. No employee rights. No minimum wage.
- Guns everywhere. Everywhere.
- No social safety net. No Social Security (The predator market will have consumed the privatized version to the point of meaninglessness.) The poor, disabled, etc will be dead or in some other privatized institution at taxpayer expense.
- Darwinian economics will prevail. Only the monied will thrive. The laws of the land will support the rich getting richer because the rich will control the political process and, besides, they believe their wealth indicates a divine right to rule.
- The Constitution, including the Bill of Rights, and the Declaration of Independence, will be stripped of anything that resembles a socio-economic evolution toward the framers’ vision of what America could be. Instead we will live in a state of economic stewardship controlled by the few, and at the peril of the many. Our gratitude will be expected.
I am not Nostradamus, I am just someone who keeps up with the Congress and State Legislatures across the land. We must put an end to money-in-politics now, before it is too late for America. #FreeTheElected from the domination of campaign funders.
If you participate in social media and if you believe that a woman’s right to defend her life from a lethal pregnancy, or that a woman’s abilitly to choose childbirth is a right (not a privilege) consider changing your avatar(s) from now until this Texas madness is over.
Spread the word. Share the avatars. Make your own! The next big event at the Texas State Capitol is Monday morning. Let’s Do This.
Images From Left to Right:
Stand with Texas Women –
Zebra Garden –
Power Capes –
Make your own photo orange
using “temperature” and “brightness” on Preview!
Or, pick something orange that suits who you are.
Death by a thousand paper cuts is the biggest health risk in America today.
The most recent slice: delay the requirement for employers of over 50 to either offer health insurance or give employees access to the state health insurance exchanges.
This wound to wellness is a strategic stall. Business was encouraged by some to resist preparing, the low penalty cost of non compliance made the risk acceptable, and group-think empowered them to fight until the 11th hour.
Strike another victory by temper tantrum. The kings of part time and minimum wage threw themselves on the ground, kicked and yelled, and held their breath until their lobbyists won the day – with more paper cuts.
The states who prepared exchanges in compliance with the law will have a year to wait for the huge numbers of employees that were expected, removing the economy of scale and bargaining power of health insurance consumers AGAIN.
This is just more smarty pants political gaming, the kind that led to a weak and confusing bill in the first place. Death by a thousand cuts has been the opposition plan all along.